The Cupcake SAGA - pt 2

If you didn’t read yesterdays post - The Cupcake Saga part 1 - click here.
This part of the saga is dedicated to Jodie, my newest cupcake friend!!

So far, the Cupcake decision wasn’t getting any easier.  I was still getting bombarded with facebook emails and posts encouraging me to DO IT.  I had friends and family telling me - “Come on, do it, you can win this.”  All this was flattering, and winning sounded wonderful, but in my heart it wasn’t about whether or not I could win this, whether or not my cupcakes were good enough.  It was about the decisions already made and what the Lord wants me to do.
When we planned our trip, we broke the drive up into 3 days.  We love long road trips, but we like to take it slow and enjoy all the sights to see along the way.  We left Amarillo early the next morning knowing this would be our longest day of driving, we weren’t stopping, for the night, until Phoenix, Az, it was going to be a long day.  I immediately started googling cupcake shops between here and there and found several.  Well you can only eat so many cupcakes in a day, so I read tons of reviews and settled on one in Albuquerque, NM, Cupcakeology.  Most of the reviews said it was the best in Albuquerque and it wasn’t far from the highway, so I did a map straight to the door and we were there in no time.  

We pulled over to take a picture, Adam wanted one where we had one foot in Texas and one foot in New Mexico.  Dan was going to take the picture and not be in it, but some sweet lady pulled over and took this for us.  She just didn’t get the “Welcome To New Mexico” sign in it, LOL
We had to drive through a neighborhood to get to the cupcake place, I loved all the little adobe houses, so different from our neighborhoods!!
We arrived at Cupcakeology and were excited to get out, stretch our legs, and pick out a great cupcake.  There was only 5 of us since my grown kids didn’t come on this vacation, so we have a system, everyone always picks their own cupcake and then we take them to the car and everyone eats a bite of everyones.  The JOY, I get to try 5 different flavors and still only eat one cupcake!!
In we went, there was only one other customer in there, but as soon as we were all in, she said, “I bought the last cupcakes, sorry.”  
WHAT, it was only 1:00 in the afternoon, how could they be out of cupcakes already, she had to be joking, so I just laughed.
She seriously said, “I’m not joking, I called earlier and had them save some for me and I just bought the last of them.”
I could not believe this, I mean, I knew their website said they sold out every day, but it was 1:00 not 3, 4 or 5:00.  We had passed so many cupcake places because I had picked this one and now my kids were all in the shop and there were NO cupcakes to be had.
I think, I am a little in shock, at this point and I laughed and jokingly said, “I can’t believe we drove here all the way from Oklahoma and there aren’t any cupcakes!!!”  
The other customer, with the box of cupcakes in her hand, said, “I used to live in Oklahoma...”
We got to talking and realized, she graduated from the city where we live.  She seemed like a nice lady and we chatted a bit, but we were ready to leave and see if there were anymore cupcakes between us and where we were headed.  As we turned to head out, she said, “Take my cupcakes.”
I laughed and said, “NO.”
She said, “I want you all to have them.”
Again, I refused the cupcakes and was trying to get my kids out the door.
She stuck the box out in front of us and said, “Take them, take them, you better take them, I am going to drop them.”
Shock sat in again, she was threatening to drop them on the floor if we didn’t take them, so I took them before she dumped them on the floor and I turned to Dan and in complete amazement said, “Honey, pay her for her cupcakes.”
She said, “you are not paying me, I want you to have them, I’m in radio, I can just write it off."

Wow, first - hundreds of miles to find the perfect cupcake, second - they were sold out at 1:00 in the afternoon, third - the customer with the last of the cupcakes, who knew nothing about the Cupcake Wars offer and won't unless she reads this, was threatening to dump them on the floor if my family didn’t take them.  What in the world!
She handed me the box and an extra one in a container, and I said, “Ok, You have to at least take a picture with me, I have got to blog about this.”  

I know she probably thought I was nuts, but she stopped and posed for the picture.  As we were heading out the door, the owner said to her, someone just called and canceled there order if you would like to buy those.  I couldn’t believe it, she paid for cupcakes, gave them to us, and then turned around and paid for some more.  Really?!?!?

This is Jodie
After we were in the car, I realized I hadn’t even asked her name, so I went back in and told her I would really like to have her first name for when I blog, (if she didn’t think I was crazy before now, I’m sure she did then).  We walked out together and she gave me her business card and said to email her, she would like to read the blog!!

I had no idea Dan had put on his paparazzi hat and was hiding in the car taking pictures!!  If you look real close you can see the bottom sign says "Sold Out"



I got back in the car not knowing how many or what kind of cupcakes we had, but anxious to see.  I knew the extra one was the kind Isaac had wanted, but I didn’t know anything else.  I opened the box to find, you guessed it, four more.  Just what we needed 5 cupcakes, and they were free!!  AMAZING!!!
I leaned back in my seat and said, “Okay God, what is this all about, you now have strangers in a city miles and miles from home just randomly blessing my family with CUPCAKES!!!”  

With all the excitement and threats of dropping cupcakes, we forgot forks.  These had tons of marshmallow frosting dipped in ganache and were really messy, hence the "did I get frosting on my nose" look!!

Thank you, Jodie for the cupcakes and for adding so much to the cupcake dilemma I find myself in!!  

Needless to say, the decision was not getting any easier to make, but we were sure enjoying the decision making process!!
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Phil. 4:6-7

If you made it all the way to the end of this one, I have to say, thank you and you must LOVE cupcakes like we do!!

Counting it all Joy!!


10 comments:

Beth E. said...

This is so exciting...can hardly wait to hear the rest of the story. What a cliffhanger! :-)

Mari said...

This is such a cool story! God was making sure you got cupcakes that day. What a sweet lady!

He & Me + 3 said...

What a very cool lady and I am loving this idea of stopping at each cupcake place. They look divine!
Hugs,
Mimi
Can't wait for the next one.

jules said...

That is such an amazing story. What a wonderful lady she is. The cupcakes look yummy too.

Steph T. said...

God is so good to us isn't he? I love that he blessed your family like that! Oh girl...how I want to eat a cupcake every time I see your pics...they look sooo good!!!!
That is an amazing story of God's love for us & our families!!

Girly Muse said...

This story is too fun! Just like God to make sure you each have a cupcake. Loving it. Can't wait to hear the rest.

bp said...

I am loving reading your story! It makes me want to go find some cupcakes. lol
Have a great weekend.

Saleslady371 said...

This is a great story. Jodie is one neat gal. Speaks volumes for her town, that's for sure.

Kathy C. said...

Angel, loving this story! what a fun and exciting event, so cool that you are having this cupcake adventure with your family. :) What a sweet little gift Jodie was to your day...can't wait to hear more!

Mich said...

playing catch up in blogland today. Loved this post.

Happy weekend!